Facebook Murder Suspect Has 'Shot And Killed Himself,' Police Say

Mr Steve Stephens was accused of shooting Mr Robert Godwin on a Cleveland sidewalk on Sunday before fleeing in a vehicle and uploading a video of the murder to Facebook, becoming the subject of a nationwide manhunt. Police said he died of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head on Tuesday afternoon after a brief pursuit by Pennsylvania state police.

Facebook has since removed the footage, and chief executive Mark Zuckerberg acknowledged Tuesday that the world's largest social network had a role to play in stemming the worrisome trend.

A female employee recognized Stephens when he came up to the window, then she confirmed with other workers that it was him, according to police and Tom DuCharme, who owns that McDonald's franchise.

Cleveland police mounted unit stopped by to pay respect with many others coming out to set up balloons and signs with messages for Robert.

This Sunday, April 16, 2017 frame from video posted on Facebook shows Robert Godwin Sr.in Cleveland moments before being fatally shot.

The Cleveland Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation put the word out nationwide that Stephens was likely still driving the white Ford Fusion with the temporary license tag of #363630.

But Stephens did not want to wait, taking his McNuggets and speeding out of the vehicle park, almost hitting Gail Wheeler, 54, a retail operations manager from Erie who was on her way home from shopping. Stephens says the name of a woman, whom Goodwin does not seem to recognize.

He demanded that his victim say the name of Stephens' girlfriend and added, "She's the reason this is about to happen to you".

Investigators said that Mr Godwin was the only victim so far linked to Stephens, despite his claim on Facebook that he killed more than a dozen people.

(Cleveland Police via AP, File).

In interviews, some of Godwin's relatives forgave his killer.

A nationwide man hunt was sparked and the 37-year-old, who was dubbed the "Facebook Killer", took his own life Tuesday after a brief chase involving Pennsylvania State police.

The manhunt for the suspect accused of killing a person and airing it on Facebook Live is over, thanks in part to a McDonald's drive thru team in Harborcreek, Pennsylvania. The behavioral health agency where he worked said an extensive background check before he was hired turned up nothing worrisome.

Zuckerberg says Facebook will keep working on ways to prevent such tragedies.

Police later located him by a cellphone ping.