No need for Trump's approval to use massive bomb

  • No need for Trump's approval to use massive bomb

No need for Trump's approval to use massive bomb

The top US commander in Afghanistan reportedly did not anticipate the impression dropping America's most powerful non-nuclear bomb would make on the public.

On Thursday, President Donald Trump called it a "very successful mission" and said he's "very proud of our military". "We also ask the Kabul government to use even stronger weapons against them", Hakim added.

Rep. Eric Swalwell, a California Democrat, told CNN's Jake Tapper he was "all for going after ISIS".

When asked if the US would consider using the device in other combat zones, Spicer referred questions to the Pentagon. United States and Afghan forces had been unable to advance because ISIS - which has expanded into Afghanistan in recent years - had mined the area with explosives.

The Massive Ordnance Air Burst bomb, or MOAB, has attracted enormous attention.

The U.S. military's largest non-nuclear bomb killed dozens of Islamic State militants as it smashed their mountain hideouts, Afghan officials said Friday, ruling out any civilian casualties despite the weapon's destructive power. An official Afghan government put the count at 36 ISIS fighter.

In a statement, the us military headquarters in Kabul said the bomb was dropped 7:32 PM local time on a tunnel complex in the Achin district of Nangarhar province, which is where the Afghan affiliate of the Islamic State is said to be operating. A 300 meter long tunnel, along with large amounts of light and heavy weapons and munition were destroyed in the bombing, the Afghan defence ministry said Friday.

At a village about 3 miles (5 km) from the remote, mountainous area where the bomb was dropped, homes and shops appeared unaffected by the blast, a Reuters witness said.

General Nicholson said it was "the right weapon against the right target" and "it was the right time to use the GBU-43 tactically".

Former Afghan president Hamid Karzai on Saturday criticized both the Afghan and USA governments for the attack in Nangarhar.

Residents in Afghan villages near the target area felt Thursday's powerful strike.

"We were all scared, and my children and my wife were crying".

"We don't know anything about the casualties so far, but since it is a Daesh (IS) stronghold we think a lot of fighters may have been killed".

And, at a time when Trump was starting to flesh out a more mature foreign policy, it can not be coincidence that the "Mother of All Bombs", as it is nicknamed, was dropped five days after an American green beret, Staff Sergeant Mark R De Alencar, was killed fighting Isis in Nangarhar.

CNN's Ehsan Popalzai reported from Kabul and Laura Smith-Spark wrote from London.