Pence says US set on ensuring nuclear-free Korea

  • Pence says US set on ensuring nuclear-free Korea

Pence says US set on ensuring nuclear-free Korea

The statement was made amid an escalation of tensions on the Korean peninsula with the South Korea and United States military reporting April 16 that they had witnessed what they believe to be a failed missile test by Pyongyang which followed a number of missile launches and nuclear tests considered to be in violation with the UN Security Council resolution.

Pence said that the USA and Japan had launched economic talks that could eventually result in a bilateral trade deal between the two economies.

Last week, US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said the Vinson was "on her way up" to the Korean peninsula.

"President Trump has made it clear that the patience of the United States and our allies in this region has run out and we want to see change".

White House officials said the economic meetings in Tokyo, with Deputy Prime Minister Taro Aso and other officials, are meant to forge a framework for future discussions after the US withdrew from a Pacific Rim trade pact. But at the same time, McMaster said on "This Week" on ABC that "it's time for us to undertake all actions we can, short of a military option, to try to resolve this peacefully".

The study has found that the provocation window, which refers to the number of days or weeks between a North Korea provocation and a South Korean election, has become narrow over time, Cha said.

The North Korean Vice Foreign Minister has blamed US President Trump for his bullish tweets. His language was stronger than in a written statement he issued shortly after the launch, in which he simply said he was aware of the failure. South Korea hosts 28,500 USA troops to counter the threat from the North.

The new forum for trade talks was launched by Trump and Abe during the Japanese leader's visit to the U.S.in February. He did not comment on what might have caused the missile to fail.

A Japanese official says a difference in approach remains with the USA despite an agreement on a framework for new bilateral economic talks.

Mattis credited China with trying to help get the North Korea situation "under control" with the goal of denuclearizing the peninsula.

Sin Hong-chol, North Korea's deputy foreign minister, told Aljazeera in an exclusive interview on Monday that Donald Trump's administration "should look at the world with open eyes". But no one was predicting what might come next.

He said the Trump administration would work with ASEAN on security issues, trade and freedom of navigation in the South China Sea.

U.S. Vice President Mike Pence has once again pledged the Trump administration's commitment to defending its allies in Asia from North Korea and any other threats.

Washington had billed Pence's visit to Jakarta as a booster for a strategic partnership between the world's second- and third-largest democracies, but a raft of bilateral disputes with USA companies could sap the goodwill from his trip.

Pence told reporters Monday that Trump was hopeful China would use its "extraordinary levers" to pressure the North to abandon its weapons program.

North Korea's aim is to attach a nuclear warhead on a ballistic missile capable of reaching targets thousands of miles away.

Beijing, of course, has made this promise before, and experts warn there is no particular reason why China would honor it now - but the White House seems to have few better options.