One of Kidnapped Chibok Girls 'Refused to Leave Boko Haram Husband'

  • One of Kidnapped Chibok Girls 'Refused to Leave Boko Haram Husband'

One of Kidnapped Chibok Girls 'Refused to Leave Boko Haram Husband'

"At the end of the day, we want to have world leaders out of every one of them so that they can be what the terrorists did not want them to be", Yesufu said.

Presidency spokesman Femi Adesina said the schoolgirls from Chibok, in Borno state, were met at the capital's airport by Buhari's chief of staff Abba Kyari and taken to a medical facility for checks. "I am still hopeful that the rest of the abducted girls will also return safe and sound", she said.

Alhassan said there was need to help the girls forget the trauma they experienced from the bush.

The President's wife was also quoted as informing the girls about the efforts that had been put into negotiating their release under the direction of the President and praised all the agencies and individuals involved.

One of the Chibok schoolgirls kidnapped by Boko Haram in 2014 and who had the opportunity to be released on Saturday chose to stay with her husband, the spokesman for Nigeria's president said Tuesday, May 9. All I was told is that some people from Chibok, two district heads and the former and present chairmen of the local government area, came to Abuja and were allowed access to the girls. With this tally, more than 100 girls are still unaccounted for, apart from thousands of other people abducted by the terrorists over the years.

A later statement signed by the president's Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity Garba Shehu confirmed that some Boko Haram "suspects" were released in exchange for the girls.

In a similar deal between the Nigerian Government and Boko Haram, 21 girls were released in October 2016. Others did not want to come home because they'd been radicalized by their captors, they said.

According to him, there was evidence to show that the government did not stage-manage the abduction and release of the girls to score political points.

More than 200 schoolgirls were originally kidnapped by the militants from the town of Chibok in April 2014.

"We can't imagine the kinds of abuses they might have been exposed to".

The government agreed to free an undisclosed number of Boko Haram prisoners in exchange. This was the largest release negotiated by the Nigerian government.

Cosmos, however, urged the Nigerian government and the army to fight hard so the remaining girls and other Nigerian held captive by the insurgent could regain their freedom.

A list of the girls' names was published on Sunday evening and photographs of them have been sent to Chibok and the surrounding area for cross-checking.

Human Rights Watch has accused the government of failing to respect the girls' privacy by publishing their names and for parading them at a photo-call.